New Zealand Mathematical Olympiad Student Association (NZMOSA), a student initiative started at the beginning of this year with the aim of fostering passion and interest for mathematical thinking, processes and creativity, which are represented in a branch of high school mathematics known as the Mathematical Olympiad.
Starting on July 29, 2014, we would like to launch a nationwide mathematical competition, named the New Zealand Mathematical Olympiad (NZMO). We plan this to be as follows:
- 90 minutes in duration
- Supervised under exam conditions
- Three divisions (Junior for Years 7 and 8, Intermediate for Years 9 to 11, and Senior for Years 12 and 13), each with its own question paper
- 6 questions for each question paper, with a total 60 marks (clear working will be expected in student answers)
- Prizes: certificates, medals, badges, other prizes (e.g. books, shirts, Rubik’s cubes)
- Exam booklets posted out independently to schools; schools post student exam scripts back to the marked address in provided postage paid bags.
More specific details can be found on this page: http://www.nzmosa.org/competition-details#olympiad, and exact instructions for schools and supervisors will be distributed several weeks before the date of the competition.